Specialty Dental Services

Most of the time, Dr.  Thomas Nykamp is the only name you need to know in reference to your oral health.  Every once in a while you may need a specialist.  When this becomes necessary, Dr. Nykamp has several very highly qualified and competent specialists he will refer you to should you need a special or higher level oral health service.  There are several kinds of specialist including:

An Endodontist deals with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide variety of other diseases and injuries to the pulp, which is the internal soft tissue of the tooth. While Edodontists also do root canal procedures, most often Dr. Nykamp does this work except in special situations.

Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology:
This type of specialist helps to diagnose a wide variety of diseases in the head and neck through the use of  X-rays, computed tomographic investigations (CT scans), magnetic resonance imaging (MRIs), and other imaging technologies.

Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon:
This one’s an easy one. An oral surgeon diagnoses and operates on disease, injuries and defects in the mouth, jaw and face, generally through surgical extraction and reconstruction.

Oral Pathologist:
An oral pathologist deals with the identification and management of diseases that affect your mouth and face. These specialists rely on clinical, radiographic, microscopic and biochemical examinations for diagnosis.

If Dr. Nykamp says you need to see an orthodontist, it means you have some irregular dental development, missing teeth or other developmental abnormalities that are in need of correction. Chances are you’ll be fitted for braces, a frequently relied upon treatment designed to establish normal function and appearance of your teeth and jaws.

Pediatric Dentist:
A pediatric dentist specializes in providing comprehensive dental treatment to children, adolescents and young adults.  Dr. Nykamp do quite well with children of all ages but will make a referral if necessary.

If Dr. Nykamp thinks you have a disease that could seriously damage your gums, bone or other tissues that support your teeth, he may refer you to a periodontist for diagnosis and treatment.

If you need to have a missing tooth or other oral structure replaced, Dr. Nykamp may refer you to a prosthodontist for comprehensive work.